Feature Stories (Beat Reporting)
Student is given two weeks to produce this story
Report length 2:00 to 2:30 (maximum)
Completed package due 8am day of newscast
This is a specialised form of In-depth reporting of personalities, events or issues based on, but not limited to the following beats. Each student will be assigned a beat and they will be required to do at least 2 feature stories based on their beat reporting.
- Crime and Safety – Natalie Torres
- Environmental – Sami Sherwyn
- Sports and Health – Annie Morsches
- Science and Tech – Emily Ruybal
- City and County Government – Katija Stjepovic
- Social Community (housing, infrastructure, etc) – Alex Dale
- Cultural, Arts & Entertainment – Alexis Clark
- Education – Clara LaPatra
- Diversity – Lauren Ethington
- Crime and Safety – Mitch Utterback
- Environmental – Jesse Hughes
- Sports and Health – Ashlyn Piercell
- Science and Tech – Erin Sullivan
- City and County Government – Alicia Johnson
- Social Community (housing, infrastructure, etc) – Rebecca Voorhees
- Cultural, Arts & Entertainment – Taylor Unger
- Education – Austin Kopnitsky
- Business – Danielle Marcello
- Diversity – Kelly Grega
- This is an individual project (unless otherwise specified). The student reports, shoots and edits their own package
- 90-percent of footage is original
- Must use a bridge stand-up.
- Must use at minimum three locations and three sources, two people with expertise and a character who is impacted by the issue.
- No phone interviews that appear in the final package, unless you can have a persuasive reason why this person's interview must be done over the phone.
- Requires that you research and know your beat. Treat the story more as an analysis or investigative piece.
Student is given two weeks minimum to produce story.
- 2-weeks before airdate: Story submission approved two weeks before airdate. Story submission must be approved before production.
- 1-week before airdate: Script turned in one week before airdate. Script must be approved before editing.
- 8am Day of Newscast: Completion of package must be by 8am day of the newscast
Online (Web Story) Component:
Package is also accompanied by an online story that appears, with the video, on the NewsTeam website. Web story is due the day before the story airs.
The project is engaging to watch. Camera shots tell the story visually with sequences that clarify and build upon the previous images. Shots change every seven seconds or less. There are no camera jiggles or lighting problems. The stand-up and interview composition is balanced.
NATS and dialogue are balanced (mixed) properly. SOTS and VO are engaging. SOTS kept no longer than 12 seconds. VO is read with enthusiasm and with the appropriate emotional tone. No pops or other distracting sounds in the audio.
Easy to understand, active voice and conversational, has meaning to the audience and conveys compelling, newsworthy information. There is evidence of research and proper attributions (where the information comes from, such as surveys or studies). Stand-up is interactive, creative, integral and advances the story.
Shots are trimmed properly (seamless) and transitions fit the piece. No jump cuts or words that have been cut off. Images seem to fit together. Story is allowed to “breathe” with NAT sound inserted between SOTS and VO in certain places.